Dentistry is a very developed and refined practice. There is a treatment for just about anything nowadays and new technologies are improving the sector more and more by the day. It all started somewhere though, here are 7 fun facts that fit somewhere along the timeline of dentistry.
- Dental Floss Was Invented in 1819
Dentist Levi Spear Parmly introduced flossing when he published his book ‘A Practical Guide to the Management of the Teeth’ in 1819. In his book he suggested that people should use a waxed silk thread “to dislodge the irritating matter which no brush can remove, and which is the real source of disease”.
- Toothpaste was first put in a collapsible tube in 1892 by Dr. Washington Sheffield.
- Fluoride was put into toothpaste in 1914 when they discovered it reduced dental cavities by a significant amount.
- Dr John M Harris started the world’s first dental school in Bainbridge, Ohio. It opened on 21 February 1828.
- There is evidence of teeth having been drilled dating back 9,000 years. Proving dentistry to be an extremely old practice.
- Evidence of dental implants go back as far as 600AD
- The hardest substance existing in the human body is tooth enamel.